No electricity? Skip to electrical power cut
If you can smell gas or suspect a gas leak, call the National Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999
- Do open windows and doors
- Do turn off gas at the meter (unless it’s located in the cellar or basement)
- Do turn your gas appliances off
- Do not smoke, light a match or use any kind of naked flame
- Do not use light switches, doorbells or any electrical switches
- Do not return to your home until you’ve been given the all clear
Carbon monoxide poisoning
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste. Breathing it in can make you unwell, and it can kill.
Incorrectly installed, poorly maintained or poorly ventilated household appliances that burn fuels such as gas, oil, coal or wood are the most common sources of carbon monoxide.
As of October 2015, if you live in a rental property in England, it’s a legal requirement for your landlord to install a smoke alarm on each floor of your premises, and a carbon monoxide detector in rooms containing a solid fuel appliance.
If you are worried about carbon monoxide escaping from a gas appliance, call the National Gas Emergency Hotline on 0800 111 999.
Electrical power cut
If you experience a power cut, call 105 free of charge to get help and advice. You can also contact your regional electricity distribution company (the people responsible for getting power into your home) direct. See below for the distributor in your area.
How to contact London Power in an emergency
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for quick emergency help between 8am and 10pm every day.
Between 9am and 5pm Monday to Thursday, or 9am and 4pm Monday to Friday, please free call us on 0808 168 8145.